A FIRE broke out near a Johnstone cycle track, causing plumes of smoke to be seen across the town.

The blaze, near the end of Ellerslie Street, started just after 4.15pm on Sunday, November 12.

People living nearby were alarmed as they saw the thick black clouds billow through the sky, caused by the blaze.

Police confirm that it was a rubbish fire caused by a discarded cigarette.

Inspector Cassie Glass, who is based at Johnstone Police Station said: "We were called to a report of a fire at around 4.15pm on Sunday.

"Someone discarded a cigarette which caught fire to rubbish and spread quickly due to the cold and dry conditions at the time.

"The fire brigade attended and the flames were quickly extinguished."

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "We were alerted at 4.16pm on Sunday, November 12 to reports of a fire at a farm in Johnstone.

"Firefighters used a high pressure hose to extinguish the flames.

"There was no injuries.

"Firefighters ensured the area was safe before leaving the scene."