A CRAZED Renfrew driver who ran over a motorcyclist then attacked another biker with a metal chain in a road rage attack has been locked up.

Barry Gilfedder lost it while driving behind a group of bikers in Clydebank in August last year after visiting the place where his late mum’s ashes are scattered.

The 36-year-old was so frustrated while driving his black Honda Civic behind his two victims on the A82 near Clydebank and the Erskine Bridge that he embarked on a 15-mile high speed rampage which saw him plough into and over one bike and batter another biker with a metal chain.

He overtook and undertook other vehicles as he careered along the streets, driving dangerously close to one victim’s red Yamaha Fzs 1000 motorcycle.

He repeatedly swerved towards the biker, causing him to swerve and break to avoid hitting him, and then pulled in front of him and the other victim, braking harshly in front of them.

They were forced to move out the way to avoid a crash but their efforts were wasted, as Gilfedder eventually ploughed in to one bike – sending its rider flying across the road on the slip road to Erskine on the Erskine Bridge.

With the victim lying in the middle of the road, at risk of being hit and killed by other motorists, Gilfedder then drove over his bike.

Gilfedder harassed the other rider all the way from the A82 to Leeburn Avenue in Houston, where he got out of his car and armed himself with a huge metal chain.

He threatened the victim with the weapon, kicked his bike to the ground and then hit him with the chain.

Gilfedder denied the five charges against him – dangerous driving, failing to stop at the scene of an accident, possessing an offensive weapon, behaving in a threatening or abusive manner and assaulting one victim.

But a jury convicted him of all five charges and sentence was deferred for background reports.

When he returned to the dock at Paisley Sheriff Court last week to learn his fate, defence lawyer James Arrol asked for leniency.

The solicitor said Gilfedder had become addicted to Valium following his mum’s suicide after a long battle with mental health problems.

And he said Gilfedder’s mental health had also suffered and that he had a tendency to self harm.

He added: “He has struggled to come to terms with that loss since it happened two-and-a-half-years ago.

“He recognises he was convicted of particularly serious offences by the jury, and that they would ordinarily merit custody.

“He was travelling back from having been at the place where his mother’s ashes were scattered and that was, perhaps, the catalyst for committing this offence.”

But Sheriff James Spy ruled there was only one way he could deal with Gilfedder, of Rachel Place, Kilmacolm, and jailed him for 30 months for the offences and banned him from driving for 10 years.

As he did so the sheriff, who has been a judge for over 20 years, said: “You drove your motor vehicle at [one victim] collided with him and his motorbike, drove over the bike and caused danger to his life.

“Your catalogue of driving is one of the worst I’ve ever come across in all the years I’ve been on the bench.”