Glasgow Rens 37

St Mirren WCS Juniors 74

ST MIRREN West of Scotland junior men’s side followed up their cup success and early season win against Glasgow Rens with a dominant performance over the Southsiders, beating them 74-37 at Shawlands Academy last Saturday.

As usual, the Rens started strongly and took an early 4-0 lead.

The opening exchanges saw the hosts maintain a slender advantage and St Mirren made heavy weather of reeling the Glasgow side in.

However a steal by Robbie Stevenson to bring it to 4-3 rallied the Saints into action and some fine passing action by Jack Thompson to Ross Piggot and then Mikey Irvine saw the Saints move up a gear.

Eight points from Stevenson and six from Irvine and two points from Louis McLean in the first quarter saw St Mirren close out the quarter with authority, holding a lead of 21-12 over Rens.

The Saints dominance continued in the second quarter, with Ally Harris in sparkling form banging in a hat-trick of three pointers and an end to end steal giving him 11 points for the quarter.

Glasgow struggled to keep pace with St Mirren and the game descended in confusion when the Saints captain Thompson was ejected from the game for a double technical.

Only one of a number of controversial decisions in that quarter, it still did not help the Rens cause and emboldened St Mirren to continue the rout with three points from Stuart Berry, five more from Stevenson and two from Irvine.

At 42-27 it was clear that St Mirren had this game sewn up.

St Mirren closed the game down in the third quarter with Emmanuel Kanwei guarding the Saints basket with confidence and scoring a lay up into the bargain. Further moved the ball freely in the third quarter, with some outstanding possession play.

A further six points apiece for Harris and Stevenson and four more for McLean saw St Mirren cruise to a 60-33 third quarter lead.

In the end, Glasgow grew weary of trying and solid defensive display by the Saints saw them limit the Rens to four points in the fourth. Saints rounded off a trio of victories against the home side, eventually winning 74-37.