Johnstone Burgh got their league campaign off to the perfect start last weekend after emerging victorious against newly-promoted Benburb writes Dean Robertson.

Burgh welcomed the Glasgow side to Keanie Park on Saturday with the first three points of the new season up for grabs.

The hosts dominated the first half before playing second fiddle to the league’s new boys after the break.

However, in the end it was the Johnstone outfit who picked up the win and now sit second in Central District First Division.

Johnstone Burgh co-manger David Brolly was delighted with the opening-day victory despite his side’s Jekyll and Hyde performance.

He said: “I’m very pleased to get the three points, it was very important for us to get off to a winning start especially at home and I’m delighted we were able to do that.

“We were excellent in the first half but the second half was a completely different story.

“We seemed to lose our way and even looked rather nervous at times but we dug in well, we dealt with everything Benburb flung at us and seen the game out which to me is all that matters.”

Brolly added: “Obviously I would have liked us to have dominated the full match instead of just half of it as I’m well aware that playing well for 45 minutes out of the 90 isn’t always be good enough.

“Luckily on this occasion it was but Colin and myself will be making it clear to the players that we expect more consistent performances from them in the future.”

Johnstone Burgh wasted little time in finding the back of Benburb’s net as with only three minutes on the clock Kenneth Wright opened the scoring.

The winger worked his way into the box before skilfully curling the ball into the top corner of the Bens net to give his side an early lead.

Burgh doubled their lead just before the 25-minute mark when Jack Heron finished off a well-worked counter attack.

Five minutes later the Keanie Park club extended their lead further when Heron turned home Kenneth Wright’s low cross to score his second of the match.

Burgh then took their foot off the gas which allowed the visitors to take control of possession, however, they were unable to turn their possession into goals and went in at half time 3-0 down.

Benburb dominated the second half proceeding but it wouldn’t be until Burgh frontman Jack Heron was sent off for a second booking that the Bens were able to pull a goal back.

Moments after Heron’s sending off, Ryan Livingston burst forward for Benburb and fired a long-range effort beyond the Burgh goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

With 10 minutes left Benburb continued to press, for another goal to continue their comeback, however, Burgh managed to shut up shop and see the game out with 10 men.