RENFREW were denied their first league win of the season as Irvine Meadow scored a stoppage-time equaliser to earn a share of the spoils at New Western Park on Saturday writes Dean Robertson.

Colin Clark and Martin Ferry’s men set out to secure Renfrew’s first league win since being promoted back into the Super First Division.

A Chris Zok double looked to have bagged the Frew a 2-1 victory until a 95th minute header from Graham Boyd salvaged a point share of the spoils for Irvine Meadow.

Renfrew co-manager Colin Clark insists his side deserved to win the match and admits the result is a difficult one for him to take.

He said: “I think we deserved to get the win on Saturday and obviously I’m disappointed that didn’t happen.

“The first half was a pretty even affair but I felt we were the better team in the second half.

“Over the piece, I thought we had done enough to get the win so it was disappointing to lose a goal so late on.”

Clark added: “It’s never easy to watch your team concede but it’s especially hard to take in a situation like that.

“However, the game isn’t over until the referee blows the final whistle and fair play to Irvine Meadow for keeping on going until the very end.”

Both teams had chances in the first half to open the scoring but neither side managed to break the deadlock before the break.

However, the second half was a completely different story as Renfrew wasted little time in finding the back of Meadow’s net.

With a little over two minutes gone in the second half Chris Zok put the hosts in front when he fired home Jared Willet’s low ball into the box.

Five minutes later Irvine Meadow’s Greg Vernon headed home from close range to cancel out Renfrew’s lead.

It wouldn’t be long until the Frew were back in front thanks to a Chris Zok spot-kick, after Renfrew were awarded the penalty just before the hour mark when Kieran Healy was fouled inside the box.

The tide of the match would later turn when Renfrew went down to 10 men, Fraser Barbour was giving his marching orders after picking up a second yellow card.

Meadow were in control from this point on but Renfrew held firm until the game entered injury time.

That would all change in the fifth minute of injury time when a cross was floated into the home side’s box, it found the head of Andy Cripps who saw his resulting header hit the bar.

However the danger wasn’t gone, the ball hit the bar and fell into the path of Graham Boyd who made no mistake and headed the ball home to rescue a point for his side right at the death.