RENFREW FC came from behind to salvage a 1-1 draw against Rutherglen Glencairn at New Western Park on Saturday.

The first big chance of the game for the home side came in the ninth minute as Ross Gallacher’s free kick saw ex-Glens striker Chris Zok get in front of Rhys Donaldson and glance a header narrowly wide of the post.

Alan Muir’s curling free kick from the left in the 12th minute picked out the head of Docherty, but the Glens defender nodded over the crossbar from 10 yards.

The home supporters were shouting for a penalty when striker Scott Morton got in behind Docherty in the 17th minute and went down inside the area, but the referee wasn’t interested.

Frew should have opened the scoring in the 20th minute as Zok’s cross from the left saw Fraser miss his kick with his attempted clearance, allowing Marc McDaid to nip in but he fired his shot wide of the target from 14 yards out.

Renfrew were on top and Glencairn goalkeeper JC Hutchison had to be on his toes to make an excellent double save in the 24th minute, denying both O’Keefe and Morton.

But against the run of play, the deadlock was broken in the 36th minute with a touch of real quality. A high ball towards Team was headed out by Heffron to the edge of the penalty area, where Jay McKay was first to react as he fired the ball back over Dale Burgess and into the roof of the net from 22 yards out.

Half time: 0-1 Gallacher’s free kick In the 53rd minute almost picked out Zok again, this time Docherty managed to clear for a corner. The corner saw Docherty catch O’Keefe with his arm as he won the ball, with O’Keefe falling to the ground. It looked initially like the referee was ignoring the penalty appeals and playing on, but after a few seconds the whistler blew and pointed to the penalty spot.

After the disputes from The Glens’ players fell on deaf ears, Scott Morton stepped up to send Hutchison the wrong way from 12 yards and level the scores at 1-1.

Glens were awarded a free kick right on the edge of the penalty area. Fraser drilled the ball past the wall and Dale Burgess, only to see the ball smack off the junction of the post and crossbar and bounce away from goal.

Renfrew went close as Gallacher’s delivery again caused problems, this time drilling the ball across the face of goal with too much pace for Zok or Morton to latch onto.

Both teams pressed for a winner but had to settle for a point.

Renfrew: Burgess, Barbour, Gallacher, Brogan (O’Keefe), Heffron, Mulgrew, Fitzharris, Forbes (Wylie), Zok, Morton, McDaid. Subs not used: Cairns, Dougal, McLeay.