Andrew Chilton was driving his Mercedes lorry through the streets of Paisley in February 2012 when he struck Derek Torrance.

Derek – who was just 20 years old – was returning home from a shift at the IKEA store in Renfrew, where he worked as a cleaner, when he was struck by Chilton’s HGV.

And Chilton this week revealed that, just moments after he unknowingly struck Derek, his huge truck “bounced” over the tragic youngster.

Chilton was arrested and charged over Derek’s death and went on trial at Paisley Sheriff Court last week accused of causing the youngster’s death by driving without due care and attention.

The 37-year-old, who still works as an HGV driver, denied the charge, saying there was nothing he could have done to prevent him hitting Derek, pictured right, who was on the road when Chilton turned the corner.

He told the nine men and six women of the jury he was checking both his side mirrors, looking in front of him and looking out for pedestrians as he turned left from Smithhill Street into Gauze Street.

He said: “There was nobody to give me any concern that was too close to the edge. I felt something and I wasn’t sure what it was.

“The roads are not the best of roads in and around Paisley – I presumed it was a pot hole or something like that.

“I felt the back end of the truck bounce and as soon as I did I stopped the vehicle and got out. I was shocked and scared. I couldn’t believe what had happened.” Bus driver Stephen Craig also witnessed the tragic accident unfolding and told the court that he rushed to Derek’s aid, finding him bleeding from the mouth and looking “in a terrible state.” He added: “I felt as if the guy was dying in front of me.” Derek was rushed to hospital suffering from chest injuries caused by the crash.Despite medics’ attempts to save him, Derek succumbed to his injuries and sadly passed away.

The crash was investigated by police, leading to Chilton going on trial over Derek’s death.

Giving evidence in his defence Chilton, who lives in Glasgow, said the incident had had a lasting effect on him.

He explained: “It’s been playing on my mind for two-and-a-half years. I’ve thought about it a lot.” He said there was nothing more he thought he could have done to prevent him hitting Derek, adding: “I was doing the best I could with the view and the surroundings that I had.” Chilton, who has been driving HGVs professionally for over 12 years, said that his vehicle had several blind spots and that he was actually being more careful than usual on the day in question because he was driving in an area he did not know very well.

He said: “I was looking straight ahead as I made my turn. I did not see a pedestrian at any point or anyone on the pavement. There was a car in front of me as we sat at the lights but he wasn’t a concern for me.

“I was more concerned about my rear end – the tail swing – and the direction I was traveling in, you’re trying to look where you’re going as well.” The jury took just a couple of hours to find the charge against Chilton not proven by majority and the father-of-two walked free from court.