NEIGHBOURS told of their horror yesterday after a 92-year-old man died in a freak fire at his Linwood home.

Albert Douglas, who lived alone in Russell Place, is understood to have been cleaning his oven when he suddenly became engulfed in flames.

He then staggered into the street (pictured above), where brave neighbour Stephen Lamont tried to save his life by spraying him with water.

Emergency services rushed to the scene and took Mr Douglas to Glasgow Royal Infirmary but he was later confirmed dead.

Mr Lamont, 56, told how the incident has left him traumatised.

He said: “I saw Albert stumbling about. He was naked, his clothes had been burned right off him. His trainers were melted.

“I tried everything I could to get the flames to go out.

“I just kept talking to him, telling him ‘You’ll be fine. You’ll be fine’.

“He was in shock, but the firemen said the cold water helped him.

“Even thinking about it is traumatising. I’ve never seen anything like it.

“I never thought about the risk I’d be putting myself at. I just wanted to try and help.”

Mr Lamont’s wife Alison also tried to help put out the flames by handing over damp cloths.

Mrs Lamont said: “The man was on fire and we had the hose out to try and help him.”

Firefighters were continuing to investigate the blaze throughout the day on Monday and have confirmed it was not suspicious.

Carol Rouse, who lives a few doors down from Mr Douglas, said she was saddened to hear the news.

She said: “I wasn’t in at the time this happened but I received a Christmas card from Albert. He was obviously a very kind man.

“It’s absolutely awful news and it’s important we find out how it happened.”

Cllr Jim Sheridan, who represents Linwood on Renfrewshire Council, said: “This an absolute tragedy for the family and a horrific death.

“We need to make sure all safety checks are carried out and check there’s nothing affecting adjoining houses.

“It’s crucial we find out the reasons behind why this occurred.”

Graeme Binning, local senior officer for Renfrewshire, said: “A man has sadly died following a house fire in Linwood.

“The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was alerted to reports of a fire at the property in Russell Place at 4.58pm.

“Operations Control mobilised three appliances.

“A male casualty was passed into the care of the Scottish Ambulance Service but sadly passed away a short time later.”