A TEENAGE girl almost died after taking dangerous drugs near Johnstone High School.

Cops were called to a park in Beith Road near to the school just before noon on Wednesday, where a 15-year-old girl was found unconcious with blue lips after taking an illegal substance.  

The Johnstone High pupil, who cops say was not attending school that day, was with her friends and they had bought what they believed to be cannabis from a dealer.

After taking a few draws, the girl had a reaction similar to that of a heroin overdose.

She was seen to by paramedics and given Narcan before she was taken to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital by ambulance.

Narcan is short for Naloxone which is an opoid receptor given to people who have overdosed.

The teen came round about a half an hour after arriving at hospital and was discharged later that same day.

The hospital has since confirmed there was no heroin or cannabis in the girl's system.

Cops have said they believe the girl may have taken Spice - a mix of herbs and laboratory-made chemicals which can have major mind-altering effects.

Inspector Jim Cast, of Renfrewshire's Community Policing Team, said: "We are now working with the schools across Renfrewshire to drill the message home that you simply cannot take anything.

"Even if it seems like it may be a softer drug, you just don't know.

"We do believe the substance taken could have been Spice, which can have all sorts of things in it like rat poison. It can look like cannabis but might not be."

Police have said a 16-year-old boy has been charged with supplying drugs to a named persons and will appear in court later this month.