AN ERSKINE man’s drug-induced “state of paranoia” led him to launch a severe attack on a police officer.

Ross Ferris, 26, bit PC Alison Laughlin on November 23 last year in Barholm Drive in the town.

The electrician and gas engineer appeared before Sheriff James Spy at Paisley Sheriff Court yesterday and admitted charges of assaulting the police officer to her injury and shouting and swearing and uttering threats of violence.

Procurator fiscal Ziad Ul Hassan said when police officers arrived at the address, Ferris was found naked and they were concerned by his demeanour and his behaviour – when the officers went to speak with him, he took off.

The prosecutor said: “Police officers pursued the accused and whilst he was running, he was shouting. They managed to detain him and when attempting to handcuff him, he lashed out at the officers.

“The officer attempted to spray the accused with CS spray which had no effect.

“He lashed out again and bit the officer with significant force and he maintained pressure on her arm. 

“A code 21 emergency was actioned for other police officers to assist. She managed to pull her arm from the accused’s mouth.

“Other officers attended, and the accused was removed from the area. He was restrained and put in the police cell van. He shouted “f**k off you c**ts” and other obscenities.”

The court heard how Ferris, of Hopeman in Erskine, had taken a quantity of cocaine which left him in a “state of paranoia” .

The attack on PC Laughlin’s left forearm caused severe bleeding and she had to be given a tetanus injection and a hepatitis vaccine, with anti-biotics.

Defence solicitor Alistair McGarvey said Ferris’s paranoia left him to believe the police officers “were not real” and that he was “being attacked”.

He said: “He had taken a quantity of cocaine and he had begun to experience paranoia in the shower. He was wearing a towel and the family dog ran out of the door which was why he gave chase and the towel fell – this was why he was found undressed.

“He was heard to say that the police officers were not the real police and he believed that he was being attacked. He now knows he was not.”

Sheriff Spy ordered Ferris to carry out 300 hours of unpaid work, the maximum, within 10 months.