A BRUTE who battered a baby from the day she was born has been banned from returning to work as a carer once he is freed from prison.

Michael Finlay, who previously worked as a carer at Quarriers Village, in Bridge of Weir, was jailed for five years in 2019 after a court heard how his tiny victim suffered a fractured skull.

He has now been struck off the social care register after a Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) hearing took place while he is still behind bars.

The SSSC has confirmed that 36-year-old Finlay, from Johnstone, has been banned from working in the care industry as a result of Friday’s hearing.

A spokesperson told The Gazette: “The Fitness to Practise Panel found that the worker’s fitness to practise is impaired and removed him from the SSSC Register, which means he can no longer work in the sector.” 

Andy Williamson, service director at Quarriers, has backed the panel’s decision.

He said: “Quarriers takes all police enquiries and safeguarding incidents very seriously and, when informed, immediately took all appropriate actions.

“Mr Finlay no longer works at Quarriers and we fully support the SSSC’s findings.”

Glasgow Sheriff Court heard how Finlay carried out the attacks at a house in Lenzie, East Dunbartonshire, between October and December 2017.

A jury was told how he would “lose control” and yell at the baby to “shut up” when she cried.

They also heard that Finlay shook the girl “uncontrollably,” with one of the attacks taking place on Christmas Day.

Finlay, who was employed as a carer for vulnerable people, had been warned about his handling of the child, who can’t be named for legal reasons.

In a text message, the baby’s mum told him: “You need to be careful, so she does not have any knocks like last time.”

He replied: “I know, babe.”

The baby’s aunt also sent a message to Finlay after noticing the child had been hurt.

Prosecutor Mark Allan said: “He told her ‘s*** happens,’ in reference to the first bruise that was discovered.”

Finlay was handed his five-year sentence in July 2019 after it was established he had assaulted the baby to her severe injury and to an extent where her life was in danger.

READ MORE: Johnstone thug jailed for brutal attacks on baby