LOVED ones have paid emotional tributes to a young soldier from Bishopton who died during the week of a record-breaking heatwave.

Sapper Connor Morrison, who was stationed at Woodbridge, in Suffolk, was reported to have suffered breathing difficulties on July 21, with the ambulance service called to Rock Barracks, in Sutton Heath.

An air ambulance, land ambulance and ambulance officer vehicle attended and the 20-year-old was rushed to Ipswich Hospital.

Connor, of 23 Parachute Engineer Regiment, died two days later, with mum Brigitte by his side.

In a message posted on Facebook, she paid a poignant tribute to her much-loved son.

Brigitte wrote: "I would like to say a heartfelt thank you to everyone for their comments, pictures and memories about our Connor.

"I'm sorry I can't thank everyone individually but please know that reading your posts about how much Connor meant to each one of you provide a massive comfort to us in these hardest of times.

"Reading your memories about his kindness, love for life and wicked sense of humour and how much impact he had made during his way too short life is almost overwhelming.

"I'm so proud of what a good man you have become, Connor."

In a previous Facebook post, his dad Garry wrote: "It is with great sadness and our hearts breaking that we have to announce that we have lost our son and brother Connor Morrison.

"Connor passed away at Ipswich Hospital with his mum by his side. He will leave a huge gap in many lives.

"At this time we would ask our friends and families to give us a little space to help us process things."

A spokesperson for the West Lowland Battalion Army Cadet Force, where Connor trained as a teenager, said former colleagues were "saddened" to hear of his death.

"Connor was a well-liked and respected young man who had been a member of our Erskine detachment for five years, leaving in 2020," added the spokesperson.

"He touched the lives of many of our adult instructors and cadets during his time in the ACF and will be remembered by many as a charismatic and enthusiastic young man. He will be sorely missed.

"Our condolences are with his family and friends at this difficult time."

The death of the former Park Mains High pupil is being investigated by the Defence Safety Authority, alongside Suffolk Police and the Health and Safety Executive.

An inquest is due to be held at a later date.