A FORMER teacher and football coach has been jailed for sexually abusing young boys.

Kenneth Divers, who was also an ex-Celtic scout, was surrendered from Vietnam to stand trial at Paisley Sheriff Court last month.

The 78-year-old was found guilty of abusing the boys, some as young as 11, at various locations including Hampden Park and two schools in Paisley between 1968 and 1992.

Today, he was sentenced to five years in prison and placed on the sex offenders register indefinitely.

Speaking after the sentencing, Katie Stewart, who leads on international co-operation for the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS), said: “Kenneth Divers’ crimes had a devastating impact on the lives of his victims and I commend them for their courage and composure throughout the prosecution process.

“This prosecution would not have been possible without them, and the complex international multi-agency work needed to bring Divers back to Scotland.

“The positive relationships we have built with international partners are vitally important to delivering justice for the people of Scotland.

“This case shows that no matter the passage of time or where a perpetrator hides, we and our partners are committed to the effective and fair administration of justice and holding people like Divers to account.”

Following allegations of historical sexual abuse, Police Scotland established that Divers had left Scotland in 2013 to move to Dubai.

A further police investigation found that Divers had subsequently settled in Vietnam. In September 2021, an Interpol ‘Red Notice’ was issued and shared with Vietnam.

Weeks later, the National Crime Agency (NCA) confirmed that Vietnamese authorities had located Divers living in Hoi An.

A full extradition request was sent through diplomatic channels to Vietnam requesting that Divers be returned to Scotland for the purpose of prosecution.

A complex multi-agency operation, involving COPFS prosecutors, Police Scotland, NCA international liaison officers based in Vietnam, the Home Office, the Vietnamese Ministry of Public Security and other international partners, led to Divers’ arrest by Vietnamese authorities in January 2022.