Renfrewshire Council to buy three new bin lorries

Renfrewshire House in Paisley (Permission for use for LDRS partners)
Renfrewshire House in Paisley (Permission for use for LDRS partners)
This article is brought to you by our exclusive subscriber partnership with our sister title USA Today, and has been written by our American colleagues. It does not necessarily reflect the view of The Herald.

Renfrewshire Council will move to snap up a trio of bin lorries after a contract for their supply and delivery was given the green light by elected members.

Councillors have approved awarding the contract for the three refuse collection vehicles (RCVs) – a deal worth in excess of £700,000 – to specialist company Farid Hillend Engineering.

The decision was agreed at the finance, resources and customer services policy board on Thursday, meaning the vehicles will be dropped off at fleet services in Underwood Road, Paisley, towards the end of this year.

This will be carried out on a phased basis on October 29, November 5 and November 12.

A report, which was considered at the meeting, said: “As part of the vehicle replacement programme for 2025/26, environment, housing and infrastructure services identified a requirement to purchase three 26-tonne low-entry split-lift refuse collection vehicles.”

It’s not the first step the local authority has taken in bolstering its fleet of late, with it recently confirming a new ‘narrow track’ vehicle is expected to arrive around November of this year.

The waste services team progressed the purchase of the 18-tonne bin lorry after a successful test of its ability to enter tighter streets and others where there might be obstruction issues towards the end of last year.

During the trial, the machine demonstrated it was able to access properties where such difficulties exist better than the 26-tonne vehicles.

In February, elected members agreed to award the contract for its supply and delivery – worth more than £220,000 – to manufacturer Dennis Eagle at the finance, resources and customer services policy board. This followed the arrival of another three vehicles in December.

A report to the infrastructure, land and environment policy board in March said: “Three new 26-tonne RCVs with the latest Euro 6 engines were delivered on December 24.

“These vehicles replace three of our older collection vehicles which have been removed from our fleet. Following a successful trial, waste services are progressing the purchase of an 18-tonne narrow track collection vehicle.

“Procurement of the vehicle was considered and approved by the finance, resources and customer services policy board on February 13 and the contract awarded to Dennis Eagle.

“Delivery of the vehicle is expected around November 2025.”

Get involved
with the news

Send your news & photos