The grieving family of a Johnstone schoolgirl who died suddenly from a fatal seizure have issued a warning about "disgusting" scammers exploiting mourners.
Sick impersonators claimed to be relatives of Lucy Grant, who passed away at the age of 17 in April.
They sought to raise money through the fake Facebook page, where they also advertised a live stream of the funeral procession and targeted mourners by adding them as friends on the social media site.
Lucy's mum, Lynette, 44, warned people of the fake page, saying: "Can my friends who have added this page please report it, and I hope no one has given them money.
"Lucy’s funeral wasn’t streamed."
Many of Lynette's friends rushed to condemn the page, with one saying: "Can't believe people could stoop so low, why just why."
Another fumed: "This is absolutely disgusting, the immoral things people do never ceases to sicken me, reprobates of the highest order."
One friend admitted that she was caught by the scam: "I fell for it and sent money! Disgusting someone would set this up!"
The sick fake page set up by scammers (Image: Facebook) The Glasgow Times previously reported that Lucy tragically died after suffering 60 suspected epileptic seizures in under one year and that her family have demanded a probe into her care.
READ MORE: 'Despicable' hate crime caught on camera at football game
Lucy Grant sadly passed away on Tuesday, April 15, at her home in Johnstone.
Following her death, it is claimed the 17-year-old lay on the floor dead for over nine hours, as reported by the Scottish Sun.
It is understood that the teenager suffered from her first suspected seizure just four days after she turned 16 in 2024.
Lucy's mother, Lynette Anderson, told the Scottish Sun that the past year has been a "constant battle" to get the youngster "the care she deserved".
However, the 44-year-old claimed that her daughter being treated as an adult at Glasgow's Queen Elizabeth University Hospital delayed access to vital treatment.
The caring mother also claimed that Lucy had to wait for appointments as she was classed as an adult after turning 16.
READ NEXT: Renfrewshire MSP urges people to have their say on rent controls
In a social media post, Lucy's heartbroken mum said: "As most of you know, the last year has been a constant battle with the NHS and fighting weekly to try and get Lucy the care she deserved, but more importantly needed as her seizures were getting worse and more dangerous.
"Her two appointments at the hospital were for August 25 and September 2 this year, but I managed through sheer harassment to get them brought forward to April 24 and 29.
"Instead of going to hospital on April 24, my baby girl will now be having her post-mortem carried out."
Lucy was seen by the specialist Neurology team at the Glasgow hospital; however, on April 15, she sadly passed away at her home, where her mum claims she was lying on the floor for over nine hours.
Lynette added: "I’ll make sure her passing saves the lives of others as no child or mother should go through what we have."
Following the youngster's death, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde confirmed that they would review Lucy's case.
The health board also said they would be in touch with her family to discuss concerns about her care.
READ MORE: Killer faces life sentence for knife murder after jury mix-up
Morag Gardner, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde's Deputy Nurse Director for Acute Services, said: "We would like to offer our deepest condolences to the family of Lucy Grant at this extremely difficult time.
"Lucy had been seen by our specialist Neurology team, who remained in contact with her through her family and GP to monitor and obtain further information about her condition, and further appointments had been made for her.
"We will review Lucy’s case, and we will be in contact with her family to discuss any concerns they have about her care.
"We are also reviewing our pathways for deaths in the community of 16 and 17-year-olds and apologise for any distress caused."
Share