Emirates flight from Glasgow Airport to Dubai cancelled

Glasgow Airport flight cancelled after U.S and Israel attack Iran <i>(Image: Newsquest)</i>
Glasgow Airport flight cancelled after U.S and Israel attack Iran (Image: Newsquest)
This article is brought to you by our exclusive subscriber partnership with our sister title USA Today, and has been written by our American colleagues. It does not necessarily reflect the view of The Herald.

A flight from Glasgow Airport has been cancelled after the United States and Israel launched military strikes on Iran.

Emirates flight EK028 to Dubai International has been cancelled after the General Civil Aviation Authority announced the temporary partial closure of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) airspace.

The flight had been due to depart at 1.35pm and check-in had opened at the airport.

Passengers have been advised to contact Emirates for more information.

A flight travelling from Dubai International landed shortly after 11am this morning.

The airline has also cancelled a flight from Edinburgh Airport that had been due to depart at 8.55pm tonight.

Emirates operates a daily service between Glasgow Airport and Dubai. No timeframe has been given for how long the airspace closure will be in place at this time.

The Glasgow Times previously reported the U.S has been massing its military in the Middle East since January, and on Saturday morning began major combat operations.

The UK Foreign Office had evacuated all staff from Iran on Friday, while the American embassy in Israel had said non-essential staff could leave.

As a result of the attack, airspace over Iran, Israel, Iraq, Kuwait, Bahrain, the UAE and Qatar has been closed.

Earlier this morning, Qatar Airways flight QTR59F departed Edinburgh Airport for Doha before turning back over Germany less than three hours after take-off.

British Airways said it had cancelled all flights to Bahrain and Tel Aviv until March 3, while WizzAir director Rachel Wray said all flights to Israel, Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Amman would be suspended.

The Foreign Office has updated its travel advice to warn against all travel to Israel and Palestine.

In a statement on its website, it said: "Due to the threat posed by escalation in the region, we recommend against all travel to Israel and Palestine.

"On 28 February 2026, the US and Israel commenced joint military action in Iran, Israeli airspace has now closed."

British nationals in the region are urged to take “sensible precautions”, including following advice from regional authorities, staying away from military facilities and ensuring travel documents are up to date.

Get involved
with the news

Send your news & photos