Hundreds of Renfrewshire men are among thousands across Scotland who have booked free prostate cancer tests as part of a major new health campaign.
The Scottish Prostate Cancer Initiative held its first public session at the Donald Malcolm Heritage Centre in Linwood on Saturday, March 28, with 600 men tested on the day.
A further 500 are expected to be tested in Paisley, as demand for the initiative soars across the region.
Jamie Hunter, 48, from Johnstone, was among the first to be tested and said the project had made a real difference, adding: "This is a brilliant project. Men have not been great at coming forward but this has made it so easy and accessible."
Read more
-
Thousands flock to free Scotland prostate cancer tests following major campaign
-
25,000 men to be offered free prostate cancer tests in Glasgow initiative
-
Batman star Colin McFarlane reveals prostate cancer diagnosis
-
Scottish broadcaster urges men to talk openly about prostate cancer
The campaign has seen nearly 6000 men across Scotland book appointments at 19 upcoming sessions since launching earlier this week, with many of the bookings made by women on behalf of men.
Jamie Hunter getting blood taken by nurse Sasha (Image: Supplied)
Hunter said: "My partner works in the NHS and was all for me getting tested today."
Andrew Malcolm, CEO of Malcolm Group (Image: Jeff Holmes JSHPIX/)
The project aims to offer free testing to 25000 men aged 40 to 80 across Scotland.
It will include a PSA blood test and the option to donate samples for research.
The study’s goal is to improve the current clinical pathway for prostate cancer detection and treatment.
Results will be shared with NHS Scotland.
Participants give a blood sample to measure prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels.
Some groups will also undergo advanced diagnostics.
These additional tests will help researchers examine genetic risk factors and other biochemical markers linked to prostate cancer.
The testing sessions are being held across Scotland, with more venues and dates to be announced throughout 2026.
The initiative is being delivered by digital diagnostics firm EDX Medical Group and the Graham Fulford Charitable Trust.
Business support has come from key Scottish figures and employers.
Those backing the scheme include Sir Tom Hunter, Sandy and James Easdale, Lord Haughey, Eddie Hawthorne of the Arnold Clark Group, and Andrew Malcolm, CEO of the Malcolm Group.
Testing events will also be hosted by Scottish football clubs Inverness Caledonian Thistle and St Johnstone.
The Scottish Prostate Cancer Initiative launched earlier this week in Glasgow with tests already underway, including the first public session held on Saturday, March 28. (Image: Jeff Holmes JSHPIX/)
The Scottish Police Federation, Glasgow Credit Union, and Dundee City Council are also among the supporting organisations.
The first public session took place at the Donald Malcolm Heritage Centre in Linwood.
Andrew Malcolm said the public response had been “tremendous.”
Read more
-
Two Glasgow initiatives receive funding in latest Open Fund award
-
'I thought I was going to die': Rock star's battle with cancer and brain lesion
Malcolm said: "This is a great initiative, we are delighted to support it and the response from the public and our employees has been tremendous."
Olympian Sir Chris Hoy and Scotland rugby international Kenny Logan have also given their backing to the scheme.
Professor Sir Chris Evans, founder of EDX Medical, said the project has struck a chord.
Professor Evans said: "The response to this project has been truly phenomenal and shows that apart from there being a great demand from men to know their own health status, there is also a real desire to help shape the future of prostate cancer diagnosis.
"It has been extremely interesting to see a substantial number of booking inquiries being made by women on behalf of men."
The first sessions took place in Linwood, with 600 men tested on the first day.
A further 500 are expected to be tested in Paisley.
Around 1300 men are already booked in for Glasgow sessions scheduled for Monday and Tuesday.
A pilot scheme ran earlier this year in Greenock, Inchinnan, and Johnstone.
It was supported by Sandy and James Easdale and McGill’s Buses.
Additional Glasgow sessions received backing from the Arnold Clark Group, Lord Haughey, and City Facilities Management.
More than 1400 men were tested in just one week during February.
Men can book a free PSA test online at www.scottishprostate.com.
New locations and dates will continue to be published throughout the year.
Share