Driver who mowed down dad in Paisley after falling asleep JAILED

Stephen Craig <i>(Image: Police Scotland)</i>
Stephen Craig (Image: Police Scotland)
This article is brought to you by our exclusive subscriber partnership with our sister title USA Today, and has been written by our American colleagues. It does not necessarily reflect the view of The Herald.

A DRIVER who killed a man after falling asleep at the wheel and mounting the kerb was jailed today for five years.

Scott Nugent, 42, had just finished a 13-hour shift as a fabricator when tragedy struck on Hawkhead Road in Paisley, Renfrewshire on the morning of September 18, 2024.

Stephen Craig, 50, and Craig McDermott, 40, were walking on the pavement when they were both struck from behind.

Prosecutor David Dickson KC told the High Court in Glasgow how Nugent failed to negotiate a bend, having nodded off while driving his Peugeot 208.

Mr Craig was knocked into the forecourt of a nearby petrol station, with Mr McDermott initially ending up on the bonnet of the vehicle.

The car eventually stopped after hitting a bus stop.

Describing the aftermath, Mr Dickson said Nugent "indicated that he had worked a night-shift and must have fallen asleep".

The advocate depute added there were no defects found with the Peugeot or the road.

There had also been no evidence that Nugent had been using a phone at the time.

Both victims were rushed to hospital - married dad Mr Craig, of Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, sadly passed away four days later.

Mr McDermott was seriously hurt, including a bleed on the brain as well as fractures to his spine, face and ankle.

Police at the scene of the accident (Image: Newsquest)

He still remains badly affected by his ordeal.

Police at the scene of the accident (Image: Newsquest)

Nugent, of East Kilbride, Lanarkshire, pleaded guilty to a charge of causing death and serious injury by dangerous driving.

Police at the scene of the accident (Image: Newsquest)

Judge Lord Arthurson told Nugent at today sentencing: "Two men were making their way to their employment and walking on a pavement - a full, long, healthy future lay ahead.

"Behind them, without warning, these men were mowed down by a vehicle, without braking, that mounted the pavement, drove dangerously and collided in a way which caused catastrophic injuries.

"You had worked three nightshifts. That morning you fell asleep and inflicted the carnage which continues to envelop the families of the victims and Mr McDermott himself.

"I have read a heart-rendering victim impact statement which came from the grieving widow, and no sentence this court can impose will be anywhere near adequate in their eyes.

"I do not expect you near a court again. You have expressed genuine remorse and accept full responsibility for your criminal conduct.

"You have expressed most powerfully that you wish you had died or were seriously injured rather than the victims, but on that day, you took one man's life and family's future and inflicted life-changing injuries upon another.

"You will walk out of prison to a future life - Mr Craig can never do that. Mr McDermott's life has changed forever due to your behaviour."

The judge also disqualified Nugent from driving for a period of six-and-a-half years.

John Scullion KC, defending, earlier told the sentencing: "An apology was tendered to the family of the two men, which expressed his sincere regret and remorse for causing the collision which resulted in tragic consequences.

"He accepts that custody is inevitable in this case.

"There is little I can say in way of mitigation or an explanation for the events.

"Information suggests that he will live for the rest of his life with the serious injury of Mr McDermott and the death of Mr Craig in his conscience as he should."

Mr Craig's family paid tribute to him after his passing.

They said: "Stephen was a devoted husband and father. His loss has been devastating for all who knew him."

Get involved
with the news

Send your news & photos