A JOHNSTONE man has been jailed after he led police on a high-speed chase while driving on three wheels.

Jason Fish, 22, narrowly missed an ambulance as he raced his Vauxhall Omega through the streets at breakneck speeds.

Paisley Sheriff Court heard he drove so dangerously that a front wheel was ripped off the car, causing sparks to fly.

The incident took place in Paisley, where Fish careered along Storie Street, New Street, Causeyside Street, George Street, Lady Lane, Wellmeadow Street, Broomlands Street, Maxwellton Road, Corsebar Road and Stanely Road before finally being brought to a halt by police.

As he sped through the streets, he repeatedly tried to overtake an ambulance, narrowly missing the emergency vehicle on a number of occasions, and caused numerous other motorists to swerve out of the way to avoid hitting him.

At an earlier court appearance, Fish pleaded guilty to charges of dangerous driving, assaulting police officers by kicking them as they arrested him, failing to comply with a roadside breath test and failing to provide breath samples at a police station.

He returned to the dock this week to be sentenced.

Sheriff Seith Ireland ruled he had no way of dealing with Fish other than locking him up.

He ordered the accused to spend nine months behind bars and banned him from driving for five years.

Fish previously spent three days behind bars and missed his Christmas dinner for smashing a window at a Paisley pub.

He was banging on the doors and windows of The Last Post, in County Square, in the early hours of Christmas Day in 2015.

The town’s sheriff court heard that Fish, then 20, began making a nuisance of himself at around 3am.

The police were contacted and a description of Fish was passed to officers investigating the incident.

They tracked him down a short distance away.

Fish was placed in the back of a police van to be driven to a police station.

While inside the van, he began punching and headbutting the windows, as well as shouting and swearing.

He was then held in police custody for three days before appearing in court.