JOHNSTONE Burgh"s week summed up their season.

Manager George Walker had spoke earlier of his team"s home form costing them dearly while away from home they were taking points from teams in the top half of the table.

And so it proved last week when they lost 4-1 to Kilwinning on Monday at Keanie Park before holding big-spending Irvine Meadow to a 1-1 draw at Meadow Park on Wednesday.

In both matches Burgh took an early lead - they went ahead after nine minutes against the Buffs with a superb long-range shot from Kevin Crawford that keeper Keith Ross mis-judged.

They dominated the Ayrshire side for the next ten minutes with a spectacular overhead kick from Vinnie Conway just going past in the 17th minute.

It proved a costly miss as Kilwinning broke quickly and a slick passing move involving three players presented Gavin Orr with a chance he could not miss.

Although the home side held their own for the rest of the first half and almost scored when Ross spilled a James Donnelly free-kick, it all went wrong after the break.

Goals from Nicky Smith after a great solo run, then a Paul Mullen penalty which the full-back had won himself after going down in the box, made the score 3-1.

Worse was to follow as keeper Alan Donohoe was ordered off in a "last-man" attempt to prevent a scoring chance and the resulting free-kick was converted by Orr.

Even when Burgh were awarded a penalty for handball in the closing stages, the normally reliable Donnelly blasted high over the bar.

The difference two nights later as Burgh took on champions Irvine Meadow away from home was remarkable as they battled to a well-deserved draw.

Meadow had received a boost earlier in the day with news of a double signing swoop as Paul Hilland from Arthurlie and Stranraer"s Dougie Ramsay joined them.

Ironically, a Burgh win over Troon last month had virtually handed Meadow the league title without kicking a ball, but Burgh"s fortunes had gone into freefall after that.

It was against the odds that they took the lead after a superb header from Davie Brolly gave the keeper no chance and they looked like holding on.

However, a late equaliser from Gareth Turner meant the points were shared, although rgh"s survival bid was given a massive boost.

They now have matches away to Lugar Boswell Thistle (scheduled for last night - Tuesday) and a home match against Lesmahagow on a date still to be decided.

With these two games left, Burgh are in 11th place in the league on 30 points, sandwiched between Larkhall on 26 points and Hurlford, also on 30.

Crucially, both teams have played all their matches and in the worst case scenario, even two defeats would not alter the positions and the Keanie Park side are safe.

Unfortunately, Renfrewshire rivals Renfrew are already doomed and their good form of recent weeks came to a spectacular end last week.

Playing against the team that they took to the last match a year ago in the race for the title, the roof caved in and Auchenleck Talbot won 10-1.

On to Wednesday and a local derby against Arthurlie and they defended well against a determined home side determined to clinch third spot in the Premier League.

They were stunned however, early in the second half when Steven McLean, one of Frew"s young finds of the season, scored with a cracking shot.

Eric Phillips in the away goal was playing well and it looked as if an unlikely double was on the cards for the Western Park side over "Lie.

But two late goals from Alan McFadden and Brian Wardle brought the season to a close for Renfrew and the re-building task continues next year in the First Division.