AS THE Rio Olympics came to a close at the weekend, St Mirren’s stuttering start to the season turned into a stumble and fall before they have even got out the blocks.

Hibs were the visitors to the Paisley 2021 Stadium on Saturday and the Easter Road side didn’t have to get out of second gear to cruise to a 2-0 victory.

The Hibees can dream of topping the Championship podium as they made it three wins from three.

Sprint legend Usain Bolt completed the ‘triple-triple’ on Saturday, winning three gold medals for the third Olympics in a row.

However after three games, Saints are still in search of their first treble - of points - and will have to find an improvement in form quickly if they are to maintain any promotion hopes.

St Mirren manager Alex Rae made two changes from the side which disappointed at Raith Rovers last week. Scott Gallacher replaced Jamie Langfield in goal while Tom Walsh came in for Calum Gallagher.

The first clear sight of goal came after 10 minutes when a St Mirren old boy had a golden opportunity to put his former side behind. Hibs full back David Gray flighted in a cross from the right and found John McGinn in acres of space around the penalty spot. The Scotland midfielder hit it first time and screwed his effort wide.

The next sight of goal would also come for the away side and there would be no mistake this time. Some neat play in midfield for Hibs gave James Keatings space and time to pick out a nice pass for Gray.

He faced up Lewis Morgan and passed the St Mirren winger too easily before swinging in a telling cross which the outstretched Jason Cummings got a toe to and put Neil Lennon’s side in front.

Saints responded when Kyle Hutton was alert to intercept a Hubs throw. He laid the ball off for Stevie Mallan who struck over.

But things went from bad to worse for the Buddies just after the half hour mark as they contrived to gift Hibs a second.

Jack Baird had the ball under no pressure and played a pass back to Scott Gallacher, but the goalkeeper had already decided to come out to claim the ball and could only watch it drift past him. Cummings was alert and finished well.

Ryan Hardie replaced Lewis Morgan at half-time and had the chance to make an immediate impact. A cross from the left from Tom Walsh eventually fell to the striker at the back post, but his strike was high and wide.

After 57 minutes a Mallan free-kick from the left was headed on before coming to Baird at the back post, but the defender couldn’t adjust in time.

However it would prove to be a false dawn for the Buddies faithful who had to endure a painful afternoon as their side could barely lay a glove on the men from Leith, registering just one shot on target St Mirren: Gallacher, Naismith, Webster, Baird, Irvine, Walsh, Hutton, Mallan, Morgan (Hardie, 45), Shankland (Stewart, 75), Sutton (Clarkson, 70) Subs not used: Langfield, Whyte, Gordon, McDonald.

Hibs: Laidlaw, Gray, Hanlon, McGregor, Stevenson, McGinn, Bartley, McGeough, Keatings (Shinnie, 68) Cummings (Boyle, 85) Holt (Graham, 77).

Subs not used: Virtanen, Fyvie, Forster, Crane.

Referee: Don Robertson Attendance: 4,517