Johnstone Burgh manager Jamie McKim hailed teenage left-back Lee Salisbury as he guided his side to their second scalp in a row with a victory over Arthurlie on Monday night. 

Seventeen-year-old Salisbury, who arrived from Stranraer last week on an initial development loan from the SPFL club, was solid at the back and provided an attacking threat as the Burgh followed up Saturday’s 2-0 win over Neilston with a 2-1 win at Keanie Park to make it two wins from as many games in the Sectional League Cup. 

And McKim thinks the sky is the limit for the young full-back. 

He said: “It’s unbelievable to think that Lee is only 17. He’s matured a lot already and we’re looking forward to seeing how he progresses over the season. 

“Neilston tried to double up on him on Saturday and he was superb, and it was the same again tonight.” 

First-half goals from Ryan Officer and Kiaran Maule had Burgh ahead at the break and they kept out the visitors in the second 45 despite being under pressure for large periods of the half. 

Arthurlie, without new manager Duncan Sinclair, started the stronger of the sides but could not put any pressure on the Burgh goal while the hosts looked dangerous with the first proper chance of the game. 

Christopher Burns showed great feet to get the ball under control in a busy penalty area before volleying for goal and forcing visiting goalkeeper Stephen McPhee into a fine save. 

McKim’s men continued to up the tempo and would finally get their reward after 25 minutes. 

A terrific run then through ball down the left hand side from Sam Esplin teed up prolific Officer who clinically finished from a tight angle. 

The lead lasted all of a minute however as Liam Mushet drilled the ball into the bottom corner for an immediate reply. 

The wide men for Burgh were causing Arthurlie all sorts of problems as McKims’s side regained their lead before the break. 

Kieron Maggenis burst down the right hand side and cut the ball back for Maule who fired high into the net from the edge of the box. 

In the second half, the visitors controlled the game but rarely came close to troubling the Burgh goal. 

Experienced striker Andy Barrowman, who has only recently come out of retirement, perhaps should have done better with a header before William McNicol and Derek McNab missed close range changes. 

If anything it was the home side who should have got the fourth goal of the game, but a combination of poor decision making and finishing meant the score remained 2-1. 

It was enough for another victory, though, and they now have all the momentum as they sit top of Group Eight and get set to face Benburb tonight.

And McKim has taken great confidence from the cup campaign so far. 
He said: “Not just the attacking performance but the defensive resolve we’ve shown over the past two games has been fantastic. 

“I’ve never hidden my ambition of us winning the league. Looking at us you’d be mad to argue with me.”