Renfrew co-manager Colin Clark hopes that Saturday’s comfortable 3-0 winner over Kirkcaldy YMCA in the Macron Scottish Junior Cup can bring his side closer together. 

The Frew have struggled in the Premiership this season, losing seven of their opening nine matches but they never looked in any danger of being on the wrong end of a cup shock as a first-half double from David McKenna, and one from Bob Campbell, saw Clark’s side comfortably through to the next round. 

The away day to Fife, a win and a clean sheet might have been enough to bring his players closer together on their own, but Clark hopes that their night out after the game can also play a big part. 

He said: “I was nightshift so I drove up and missed all the carry on and stuff they would have had on the bus. 

“They had a night out after the game so hopefully, along with the result, it’ll bring them all close together.” 

Frew started well in the early stages of the game with both Campbell and Ryan Borris making the home goalkeeper work but both were denied from 18 yards. 

Chances were limited for the home side, with Dale Burgess having a quiet afternoon in goal, although his defence did have to be alert to clear away Ross Ogden’s driven cross. 

On 25 minutes the hosts were reduced to 10 men when Darrell Anthony was shown a straight red card for a late challenge on Gregor Wylie, a decision which Clark admitted he felt was harsh. 

There was no time to feel sorry for their opponents, however, and Renfrew took the lead just a couple of minutes later when McKenna turned the ball home from close range. 

On 33 minutes the lead was doubled through Campbell as his free-kick squirmed just under Ryan Couser in the Kirkcaldy goal. 

The tie was essentially put to bed five minutes before the break with McKenna finding time in the box to fire past Couser from 12 yards out. 

In the second-half it was one way traffic with Couser making a series of fine saves to frustrate the visitors, the most notable denying Rikki McIntosh’s header. 

Renfrew controlled the remainder of the game despite not being able to add to their tally and now go into the hat for the next round. 

And after their difficult start to the season, Clark admits just getting through to the next round was the main thing. 

He said: “We got through to the next round which is the most important thing. 

“We played fine and created a lot of chances, and probably should have won by a few more than we did but we’ll not split hairs and it was good just to get to the next round. 

“It was good to get a clean sheet too with the way we’ve been playing recently. I didn’t think the sending off, even though I felt it was harsh, affected the flow of the game. 

“They’ve been going against us recently so when it goes for you, you have to take it. 

“We’re looking to take the result into next week of course. The clean sheet will give the back five a boost, and the fact we didn’t look like conceding a goal will also help.”

Frew return to league business with a Satuday trip to face Cambuslang Rangers.