ST Mirren remain rooted at the foot of the Premiership table as they were twice pegged back in a competitive draw with Aberdeen. 

Sam Cosgrove rescued a point for the home side by squeezing an effort below the desperate dive of Václav Hladký.

It was a cruel blow to the Saints who had twice led the game thanks to Duckens Nazon's penalty and a wonderful strike by Kyle McAllister. 

Lewis Ferguson's first half header had initially levelled things up in a game that proved to be a midfield battle. 

When the Buddies broke the deadlock after 20 minutes, it came from the penalty spot.

Cosgrove, so often the hero for Aberdeen in recent months, turned villain as he hauled down Paul McGinn at the back post from a St Mirren corner, and Nazon found the net via the inside of the left-hand upright.

Greg Stewart should have levelled five minutes later as he ran on to a through ball from a Cosgrove pass, but rather than rounding goalkeeper Hladky, the pair collided, resulting in a brief stoppage as both were treated.

Aberdeen levelled after a period of pressure, with Niall McGinn taking a corner short to Gary Mackay-Steven. His cross was flicked on by Mikey Devlin at the near post, and Ferguson was well placed to nod home at the back post - despite having put a near-identical effort wide earlier in the game.

It should have been 2-1 to the hosts a couple of minutes later as Stewart slipped in McGinn with the goal gaping, but somehow the Northern Irishman contrived to blaze high and wide.

St Mirren have conceded four on each of their last three visits to Pittodrie, but never looked in danger of doing so here - and indeed they were back in front just after the hour.

Devlin needlessly gave the ball away in midfield and an early pass sent McAllister through. He had the beating of Andrew Considine, and curled neatly past Joe Lewis and into the far corner.

Cosgrove hauled the home side level again as the game entered the final fifteen minutes, doing just enough to fire Graeme Shinnie's left-wing cross home, despite a big touch from goalkeeper Hladky.