Glasgow Clan ended the weekend with three points out of four after a double-header against Guildford Flames.

Pete Russell’s men got the better of the Surrey side on Saturday at Braehead Arena before going down in overtime in the reverse fixture on Sunday.

Clan pulled themselves closer to the play-offs on Saturday as they made it six straight home wins with a hard-fought 5-3 home win.

After a three-game losing run, the last thing Clan needed was to be pitted against their ‘bogey’ team in the form of the Flames, a team with seven out of eight wins in previous meetings.

However, this didn’t phase Clan as they looked to get back to winning ways with a couple of chances as Matt Beca and Vaclav Stupka combined. 

By the end of the opening period, the home side were in front as Rasmus Bjerrum’s shot from a Beca pass found its way in.

The Gazette: Guillaume Doucet puts in a man of the match performance, netting twice against the FlamesGuillaume Doucet puts in a man of the match performance, netting twice against the Flames

The visitors hit back after 34 minutes but Clan restored their lead as Brendan Connolly’s pass from behind the goal caused a scramble that saw Guillaume Doucet get the final touch to make it 2-1.

Scott Pitt added a third but the celebrations from that had barely died down when the Flames pulled one back.

READ MORE: Russell looking to bounce back after zero-point showing

Flames levelled but it wasn’t for long as Beca let rip with a beast of a shot before man of the match Doucet got the final goal.

 Penalties made it a nervy end to the game, with Clan having two men in the penalty box.

 Heroic saves from Joel Rumpel made the difference as the home side held on for a big two points against the only team they hadn’t beaten this season.

The Gazette: Matt Beca also on target as Clan hit the Flames for fiveMatt Beca also on target as Clan hit the Flames for five

Fresh from their victory, Clan made the 420-mile journey to Surrey for the rematch in the only arena they’ve never won in.

There was real hope this could be the night as Clan went in front after five and a half minutes after Bjerrum found Doucet who applied the finish for his third goal of the weekend.

It wasn’t to be for the Clan in the third period, however, after Rumpel was beaten with six minutes to go.

The game moved into overtime and, just briefly, it looked as though Glasgow would get the monkey off their back when they scored.

Goal line technology ruled it out and the game remained very much in the balance until the home side prevailed.