Christian Doidge's first-half goal and a late penalty from Stevie Mallan helped Hibernian to a 2-1 win over St Mirren which left Jim Goodwin's side sitting joint bottom of the Ladbrokes Premiership table.

The home side dominated for large spells of the game but could not find a goal until injury time when Junior Morias netted from close range.

St Mirren made just one change from the team that defeated Ross County on Saturday. In came captain Stephen McGinn for his 200th club appearance, with Danny Mullen dropping to the bench. 

Hibs, in contrast, were unchanged for a third match in a row as new manager Jack Ross made his return to Paisley.

It was Goodwin's men who created the first chance after four minutes as Kyle Magennis squared the ball for Ilkay Durmus but the Turk's wild effort went well wide of the goal.

Hibs responded with their first opening. Joe Newell's hook back into the box was a dangerous one but referee Alan Newlands was quick to blow for a foul on goalkeeper Vaclav Hladky.

READ MORE: Buddies captain Kyle Magennis relishing Hibs challenge

Magennis should have then done better with the first real chance of the game. Calum Waters' cross from the left was perfect but the midfielder could not get his header on target from six yards.

The home side paid for those missed chances when Hibs went in front after 28 minutes. Jason Naismith's cross from the right was met by Doidge and he scored his sixth goal in three matches with the aid of a deflection.

St Mirren could have drawn level shortly after the goal after a misjudgement from Ryan Porteous found Jon Obika in a dangerous position but the striker hesitated when a first-time shot might have beaten Chris Maxwell in goal.

Maxwell, though, was soon in danger early in the second half. He came out his box and tripped Magennis as the midfielder raced on to a pass forward. The home fans wanted a red card but the referee decided a yellow would suffice.

St Mirren continued to push but were not doing enough to work the goalkeeper. Mullen came on and sent another shot high over the bar, before sending in a bending shot that struck the post.

Hibs claimed a second goal from the penalty spot 82 minutes in after Gary MacKenzie fouled substitute Martin Boyle and Mallan stepped up to convert from 12 yards.

Morias gave St Mirren a late lifeline when he fired home after Mullen's shot had been saved but there was not enough time for the home side to claim an equaliser, with Goodwin left to bemoan his side's failure to take their chances.

He said: "We're extremely disappointed but I couldn't be prouder of the players in terms of their effort in the second half.

READ MORE: Late Sam Foley strike hands St Mirren vital Ross County win

"It's a long long time since we've dominated a half of football like that against a very good team. Unfortunately we've got nothing to show for it.

"Tonight my goalkeeper hasn't had a save to make and yet he's had to pick the ball out the back of his net twice.

"We had two or three good opportunities at 0-0 which is the story of our season unfortunately.

"And then the opposition go up the park and score with a deflected header off my centre-half. So we're gutted. We felt we had Hibs on the back foot and on the ropes."  

Hibernian boss Jack Ross, in contrast, admitted the result was more important than the performance as his team edged it.

Ross said: "We had to dig it out. It was a huge game for us because we knew where a win would take us. It's still early but it's given us a platform to push on.

"There's a lot still to improve on but there's also still a lot to build on. Sometimes you've just got to find a way to win the game - and we've done that tonight. In both games, tonight and Saturday, we defended our box very well."

Read all the latest from Gazette Sport