ST MIRREN manager Jim Goodwin reckons his team got a raw deal from the officials in the Betfred Cup semi-final defeat on Sunday.

A headed goal from Scott Robinson after nine minutes was enough to earn Livingston a 1-0 win in the Hampden showdown.

However, Goodwin is convinced his team should have had a penalty for a challenge by Livi ace Nicky Devlin, who appeared to catch Saints centre-half Joe Shaughnessy on the leg while attempting to make a clearance.

Referee David Munro also waved away claims for a spot-kick when substitute Jon Obika went down in the penalty area, although the Buddies boss admitted the whistler got that decision right.

Goodwin said: “We definitely should have had a penalty in the first half. Joe Shaughnessy clearly gets a volley in the back of his leg.

“It’s a big call. They are the kind of decisions that you need to go your way in big games but, unfortunately, the referee didn’t see it.”

Saints had chances to equalise during a scrappy affair, with Conor McCarthy escaping his marker to meet Jamie McGrath’s corner, only for Craig Sibbald to clear the header off the line.

Obika, along with fellow substitutes Kyle McAllister and Ilkay Durmus, gave the Buddies more threat in attack but Livingston defended stoutly to leave the Paisley men frustrated.

Goodwin revealed some of the St Mirren players were left in tears after blowing their big chance to set up a final showdown with St Johnstone next month.

“There’s been tears and real frustration at how the game panned out,” he said. “We all feel as if it’s a missed opportunity.

“The first half was quite a nervy affair. I don’t think there was a great deal of football being played.

“The second half, we asked them to go out there and play a bit more like the team they have shown in recent games.

“I think the players can be proud of what they put into that second half, we threw absolutely everything at Livingston.

“We had a couple of half-chances, McCarthy has had one cleared off the line, another couple of little opportunities, but in fairness to Livingston, I thought they defended brilliantly.”

Saints are back in action tonight, when they travel to Tannadice to face Dundee United in a league match, with kick-off scheduled for 6pm.